Coding Section > Coding Corner

Benefits to starting out mining at a higher difficulty

(1/1)

thepitster:
A high pool difficulty is for high power mining equipment. What this does is lowers the bandwidth amount for both the pool and the miner. Because the difficulty is higher, the miner will find valid shares less frequently, resulting in less data transmitted from the miner to the pool.

Lower difficulties are for lower powered mining equipment, so that the miner has a chance to submit some valid shares before the next network block is found, and it has to start the hashing process over again for the new block. If no shares are submitted by a miner between blocks, that miner will get no credit for the mined block. This is why pools have several different difficulty levels.

Typically pool payouts are weighted on the number of shares per miner, while those shares are weighted on the difficulty setting, so a low difficulty share is worth less than a high difficulty share

or if you are like me and at first this top portion make no sense then how about explaining it like this:

1 difficulty gives you 1 share. 32 difficulty gives you 32 shares. 2048 difficulty gives you 2048 shares. You'd want at least 1 accepted share per block otherwise you are missing out on payouts for blocks the pool solved. If you get more accepted shares at 32 difficulty vs 2048 difficulty. 2048 difficulty means I miss out on payouts because I don't have any accepted shares for a block the pool solved.

Hope this helps some understand how a higher difficulty can make you more Monero.

Good luck Mining.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

It appears that you have not registered with ALLRiPPED. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version